These vegetarian spicy black bean taco wraps are perfect for Meatless Mondays or anytime you want to get a plant-based meal on the table in around 20 minutes.
Prep time: 15 minutes / Cook time: 5 minutes / Serves: 4
2 T. extra virgin olive oil 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed * 2 T. water 1 t. ground cumin ½ t. chili powder 1 t. smoked paprika ¼ t. cayenne pepper ¼ t. dried Mexican oregano Sea salt and black pepper, to taste Optional: ½ medium red bell pepper, finely diced
* To make cleaner, use whole beans that you precooked. Using a slow cooker makes this super-easy.
2 large ripe avocados, pitted 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced 3 T. fresh lime juice 2 T. fresh cilantro, minced ½ medium jalapeño, finely diced Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Mango Salsa (recipe on my site) Iceberg, butter, or Romaine lettuce leaves for wrapping
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add beans, water, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and Mexican oregano. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
2. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are warmed through and the spices become fragrant, around 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. While the beans are cooking, mash the avocado in a small glass or other non-reactive bowl. Add tomato, lime juice, fresh cilantro, and jalapeño. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Transfer warm beans to a bowl and add diced bell pepper, if using. Sprinkle with additional spices, if desired. Serve immediately with large lettuce leaves for wrapping, along with fresh guacamole and spicy mango salsa. Enjoy!
If you’d like more recipes, stop by and check out our tasty menu plans and gap recipes in Green Hat Lady’s Kitchen. Discover seven months of plans and hundreds of gap recipes.
Affiliate Disclaimer: This message includes affiliate links, which means I will receive a commission on any purchases you make when you click on those links.