Updated: Aug 16
Sizzle up your kitchen with a taste from south of the border for Cinco de Mayo. These Chicken Fajitas are quick and easy to pull off and robust with flavor.
For an authentic restaurant-style sizzling fajita presentation – heat the cast iron fajita skillets in a hot oven while preparing the chicken and vegetables. Transfer the cooked ingredients to the hot fajita skillets and serve immediately. Tip: You can slice the chicken before cooking, but it has a tendency to dry out when prepared this way. Cooking the whole breasts takes a bit longer, but the chicken will be juicier.
Prep time: 20 minutes (+ time to marinate) Cook time: 20-25 minutes Serves: 4
Fajita Marinade Ingredients
2 t. chili powder 1 t. ground cumin 1 t. smoked paprika ½ t. onion powder ½ t. garlic powder ¼ t. cayenne pepper ½ t. dried Mexican oregano ½ t. salt ¼ t. black pepper 3 T. extra virgin olive oil Remaining Ingredients 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil, divided 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced 1 medium white onion, sliced 2 large avocados, sliced 2 large limes, cut into wedges ½ c. fresh cilantro, chopped Directions
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
2. Add the chicken breasts to a large, non-reactive bowl and pour the marinade on top. Turn the breasts to ensure all pieces are equally coated. Allow to marinate at room temperature up to one hour or cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
3. To prepare the fajitas, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and discard remaining liquid. Place chicken breasts in skillet and cook for 7-8 minutes before turning. Continue cooking another 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and add remaining olive oil to skillet. Add the sliced peppers and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp tender and nicely browned, approximately 6-7 minutes.
5. To serve, cut the chicken breasts into thin slices and divide among cast iron fajita platters, if using, or individual serving plates. Serve immediately with peppers, onions, sliced avocado, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro, if desired, on the side.