Updated: Aug 16
This quick and easy savory peach compote is as versatile as it is delicious. Try it as a sandwich spread or as a flavorful sauce for chicken, pork, or fish dishes - or, if you are vegetarian, with rice and a side of stir-fried veggies. For best results, prepare this recipe 1-2 days in advance to give the flavors a chance to develop fully. Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15-20 minutes Yields: approximately 3 cups
Ingredients 2 T. extra virgin olive oil 1-2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
½ c. red onion, finely chopped (about ½ medium) Sea salt and black pepper, to taste 1 t. dried rosemary 1 t. ground cinnamon 1/8 – ¼ t. crushed red pepper flakes 2 T. fresh lemon juice 4 large ripe peaches, diced (approximately 4 heaping cups) 3 T. honey, preferably local 2 T. water
1. Add olive oil, garlic, and red onion to a large saucepan set over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
2. Add the rosemary, cinnamon, and crushed red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and the spices become very fragrant, approximately 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice, peaches, honey, and water to the skillet and stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a rapid boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peaches are soft and the mixture starts to thicken, approximately 10-12 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and cool for several minutes. Working in batches if necessary, transfer the warm peach mixture to a blender and quickly pulse for a few seconds just until blended, but not completely smooth.
5. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days. Enjoy!