Updated: Jul 10
Enjoy this delicious plant-based side dish! The crispiness comes from roasting and browning rather than the traditional bacon. The cherries and pistachios add a nice pop to take the dish from ordinary to Wow!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25-30 minutes Serves: 4
1 medium cauliflower head, roughly chopped 2 Gala apples, roughly chopped 2 large shallots, roughly chopped 1 T. fresh rosemary leaves, minced 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided Sea salt and black pepper, to taste 1 lbs. Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed, and halved 2 garlic cloves, finely minced 1 c. fresh cherries, pitted and roughly chopped (feel free to use thawed frozen ones) 2 T. half & half 2 T. unsalted butter ½ c. pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
2. Add the cauliflower, apple, shallots, rosemary leaves, and one tablespoon olive oil to a large bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
3. Spread the cauliflower mixture into a uniform single layer onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven to roast until the cauliflower is fork tender, approximately 25-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until it becomes fragrant, approximately 30 seconds. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring only occasionally, until they become golden brown and crispy, approximately 15 minutes.
5. Add the fresh cherries and cook, stirring frequently, until just heated through, approximately 2 minutes.
6. Once the cauliflower is done, transfer the roasted veggies to a large mixing bowl. Add half & half and unsalted butter and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Mash with a potato masher or blend with an immersion blender until mostly smooth. Set aside. 7. Spread the warm cauliflower and apple mash on the bottom of a large serving dish or bowl. Top with the crispy Brussels sprouts, warm cherries, and chopped pistachios before serving. Enjoy!
If you enjoy this recipe, stop by the Green Hat Lady’s Recipe Bungalow to check out my collection of tens of thousands more recipes to shake up your menu plans. The recipes are spread across multiple food themes to make it easier to find the ones that will become your next favorites.
Or, just check out my recipe blog to see what recipes I've been posting.
Keepin’ It Simple and Sassy in the Kitchen,