Updated: Mar 9
Bring New Orleans to your dinner table with this tasty Cajun Shrimp Gumbo recipe.
Cajun shrimp gumbo is a very special dish. It brings the tastes of Louisiana into your home kitchen. Bottom line, gumbo is simply delectable. It has those signature Cajun flavors, chopped veggies for added texture, smoked andouille sausage and plump shrimp. During the cooking process all the ingredients combine, the flavors of the ingredients are amplified and before you know it, you have gumbo. The dish may seem a bit intimidating but it is actually quite easy to make.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons almond flour
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (purchase or mix your own-recipe below)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup okra (lady's fingers), diced
8 ounces smoked andouille sausage, cut in ¼ inch thick slices
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
16 ounces raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. In a large pot melt butter over medium-low heat, whisk in almond flour. Stir constantly and allow roux to cook until light brown.
2. Continue stirring roux sauce until you achieve a light chocolate color.
3. Add chopped onions, celery and green pepper. Increase heat to medium high. Cook for about 10 minutes while stirring often.
4. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute or two.
5. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and stir.
6. Add chicken broth to the roux and vegetable mixture. Stir.
7. Add okra to the pot. Stir.
8. Add sausage, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir gently every 15 minutes. Add a little water if too thick.
9. Add shrimp and cook for 10-15 minutes or until shrimp is pink.
10. Season with more salt and pepper.
11. Ladle into bowls and serve.
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning/Oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes