Updated: Mar 9
The summer months can be exceptionally hot depending upon where you live. Perhaps you don’t want to give your kids ice cream when they ask for something sweet and cool. Try these cool snacks for kids this year.
1. Peel and freeze bananas. These can be used as a treat by themselves or added to fruit smoothies.
2. Homemade sorbet is easy to make. For instance, if you love strawberries, you can puree the strawberries; add some water, a little bit of sugar, lemon juice and a package of unflavored gelatin. Use an ice cream maker to complete the recipe.
3. Freeze whole grapes and serve those to your children. Remember, however, not to give these to small children as they can be a choking hazard.
4. Homemade popsicles can be made with 100% fruit juice. You can also make them using powdered drink mixes.
5. A fruit juice spritzer is a good alternative to serving your kids a full glass of soft drink. Add 100% juice, whatever kind you like best, to ginger ale or other clear soft drink. Add ice to cool the drink down. You can also put the mixture in the blender and create a slushy with it.
6. Ice cream floats, are also a cool snack you might want to give your children. Fill a glass three quarters of the way with your child’s favorite soft drink. Then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.
7. Buy a large container of yogurt in your favorite flavor. Spoon the yogurt into an ice cube tray and then cover it with plastic wrap. Poke a popsicle stick or tooth pick into the plastic. Place these in the freezer and allow them to freeze. You can add pieces of chopped up fruit if you want to add a special treat.
8. Cut up a variety of melons and keep them in the refrigerator for a quick cool snack at any time. To make the snack more appealing, allow the children to use cookie cutters to make shapes out of them.
9. Make a batch of cookies. When they have cooled entirely, place a scoop of softened ice cream onto one cookie and then place another on top. This will make a wonderful ice cream sandwich.
10. Orange and vanilla is a wonderful combination. Add orange juice to a blender and then place a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You’ll have made a liquid dreamsicle that is much healthier than the traditional version.
Prepare these ten “cool” snacks for your kids the next time they ask for a snack this summer. These snacks will help them cool down and be enjoyable at the same time.